Aisling Byrne wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a query I had about
> Lebor
> Gabala. I'm particularly interested in the description of Ireland's
> position
> in the world (beginning 'Hybernia insola possita est in
> occidente...)' which
> occurs in the Latin portion of the Miniugud version of LG. It's on
> pg 164 of
> volume 1 of MacAlistair's ITS edition.
>
> I'm slightly confused as to the exact status of the Miniugud version
> in
> relation to the rest of LG.

Did you look at the Introduction to volume one, esp. pages xxxi -
xxxii, for Macalister's own theory?  He surmises that LG began life as
a Latin text, "Liber Occupationis Hiberniae", "a sort of quasi-
historical romance".  "The next stage was inaugurated by translation
from Latin into Irish.  The first translation to be made was
undoubtedly from the texgt underlying Min[iugud].  The translator
headed his work, very naturally, 'An explanation [míniugud] of Liber
Occupationis.'  [...]  It may be further suggested that the Latin
preface to Min, where a parallel is drawn between Ireland and Adam's
Paradise, and where there are obvious reminiscences of Orosius, is
actually the preface of the original 'Liber Occupationis', at least in
the form to which it had evolved at the time when the translation of
Min. was made."

I have no idea what the current status of that theory is.  The first
book in the Irish Texts Society Subsidiary Series is, however  _A New
Introduction to Lebor Gabála Érenn, The Book of the Taking of
Ireland_, by John Carey.  Perhaps there is something there.  I don't
have access to it now.

http://shop.ria.ie/shop/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=40&cat=Irish+Texts+Society+Subsidary+Series

By the way, I'm in love with the marginal note that ends the Latin
text:  "Sudet qui legit," or as Macalister has it, "Let him who
readeth perspire!"  :-)

Dennis