"One thing I forgot to mention is that this set of E-pipes - (Electronic
Small Pipes) where bought over 6 years ago so it's hardly a "new"
invention." Bev Lawton.

No, it's not new, but as Bill Haneman mentions on the uilleann list the
makers are probably using the very latest, or even prototype electronic
components, sensors etc., since they have been developing the vPipes
from around 2005. On their MySpace site Jarleth Henderson plays the
vPipes in one video and they do sound good.
http://www.myspace.com/vpipes
There's also a pic of some bloke playing in the front seat of a car.

On the vPipes website they seem to emphasis the vPipes ability to
facilate practising with earphones. On reflection though I think a Bb
tin whistle would do the job and be a mite cheaper if you already have a
set of uilleann pipes, can play them, and just want to being able to
practise without disturbing the whole household.
Thomas Johnson