Neil McLeod wrote:

> LL
> Luid Tadc i mMumain et triallais cath do Chormac & do-gnîat síd.
>
> BB
> Luig Tadg & se slan a mMumain & giallaid do Cormac & do-gniad síd ar
> sin do-can in shai senchada .i. Cinaeth eolach cecinit.
>
> Lec.
> Luig Tadg & se slan a mMumain & giallaid do Cormac & do-gniad síd &
> cora ar sin dad doib sin do-chan in seanchaid .i. Cinnaeth eolach
> cecinit.

Whoa!  There's just a tad bit of difference between "triallaid cath
do" and "giallaid do", unless I misunderstand the first entirely.
"Tadg went to Munster" and then "he offered battle to Cormac" or else
"he gives hostages / submits to Cormac" and then "they make peace".

BTW, did you notice this lethrann s.v. "triallaid" that puts both
elements into play?

Is gat fás flaith cen giallu |  nî laech meni trialla treóir

= A lord without hostages is a withered rod*  |  he is no hero if does
not try to set the course

*  "a withered rod" is the translation s.v. "gat" in DIL, but I submit
that another, possibly better image is "an empty bundle", since a
"gat" or "withe, willow shoot" was commonly used to tie things (and
people?) up.  Compare

"Ba gat imm gainem.
(was * a withe * around * sand)
It would be like tying sand with a willow shoot."

- from the Sengoídelc site, which, incidentally, is in the shop for
repairs: it should be drivable again this weekend.  It's ultimately
from Aislinge MCG.

Dennis