Neil McLeod wrote:

> >> LL   Mani thrôethad a ara
> >
> > if not * he were to have subdued (past subjunctive of "traethaid") *
> > his * charioteer
>
> Despite the lenition in two of the MSS, I would be inclined to see an
> invisible infixed 3rd sg masc pronoun here, referring to Tadc:
>
> "If his charioteer had not deprived him".
>
> What is the state of play with Class A infixed pronouns in the 10th
> century?

I don't know off my head, although I don't recall to have seen such a
confusion before. But what I remember isn't really an argument...

> >>     ro-festais a môrgala;
> >
> > they would find out / might have known (past subjunctive &
> > conditional of "ro·finnadar") * his * great X(??)
>
> The word 'morgala' turns up again at LL 116a46 (see DIL sv eolairg).
> Perhaps it's a compound of 'már' and the accusative plural of 'gal'
> (fury). But I suspect that our word is merely a late spelling for
> 'mordála' -'great splendours / assemblies', (The long á wouldn't be a
> problem as the rhyme in this couplet is rinn/airdrinn).

Spelling confusion between lenited "d" and "g" wouldn't be typical at
the beginning of lexems like here, rather in endings. Furthermore, in
rinn-ardrinn rhyme it is only possible to rhyme a stressed long vowel
with an unstressed short vowel in absolute final position. Neither is
the case here. I am quite certain that we have "gal" here.

> BB and Lec have 'mormana', which is equally perplexing.
> 'Great-portent', or 'mor-manna' - 'great boon'? Either combination
> might mean something like 'great display of splendour' (as indeed
> could 'mordál')

"mana": "omen, portent"?

David