Viable Economy #4

This is my fourth rant on a viable global economy.

Since I posted the third rant on December fifth, I have been listening
to your responses and studying Dmitry Orlov (suggested by Joe Truss)
and Johan Galtung (suggested by David Beatty).

Orlov argues that the collapse of many aspects of our world is now
inevitable and that the current financial collapse is just the
beginning. For details go to the article Joe suggested at http://www.countercurrents.org/orlov131108.htm
. Also see Orlov’s earlier work, especially on the reasons why the
collapse may be harder for the USA than it was for the USSR at http://cluborlov.blogspot.com/2006/05/dmitry-orlov.html
, the article titled “Closing the Collapse Gap”. While the collapse is
inevitable, Orlov argues, the aftermath is up to the choices we make
now and he remains hopeful that we will emerge with a better world.

Galtung discusses the  “US Republic” which is widely admired and
emulated around the world and contrasts that with the “US Empire”
which is massively evil and hated around the world. He lays out the
dynamics which are causing the decline and fall of the US Empire. He
argues that while this decline and fall of the US Empire will be
painful, the US Republic may well be, if we are wise, in much better
shape afterward than it is now. See http://www.transcend.org/tms/galtung_editorial_archive_detail.php?article_id=303
  for details (suggested by David Beatty)

I came to the conclusion that our world is about to change radically
and will do so within the next couple of decades, i.e. very quickly.

My previous rant suggested that we try to do two things:
1. Convince every national government to get a Council of Systemic
Advisors
2. Get Obama’s ear on the regulation of the global economy.

I now believe the second goal is pointless. The global economy is
going to change so radically that there is not much point in thinking
about a regulatory system for it until we see what actually emerges
from the ruins of the current arrangements.

This is not to say that we should all retreat to our own caves and
simply try to hide from the avalanches bearing down on us. Rather,
great catastrophes also pose great opportunities. We need to seize
these opportunities.

1. Governments at all levels are going to be in unprecedented
situations and therefore will be in desperate need of a Council of
Systemic Advisors. We should push hard on this for not just national
governments but for government generally (another way to say this is
that government at all levels is going to need System 4 more than ever
before).

2. If Orlov is even close to right, there will be a much-expanded role
for relatively small, local units. These might take various forms such
as self-help associations, co-ops, or neighborhood councils. Whatever
the form, these will be important to help people cope with the
collapse of the old ways of managing commerce and the relative
impotence of national and state governments after that collapse. It
will take some time to invent new mechanisms for commerce, public
security, etc. Obama’s background as a community organizer may turn
out to be critical here. He, more than other national politicians,
probably has some feel for what groups of ordinary citizens can
accomplish. We should begin now to think about how to prepare and what
could be done by our national governments so that the transitions are
as effective as possible and the inevitable human suffering of those
transitions is minimized.

I invite your critiques and amplifications of this argument.

Barry Clemson

PS. Can anybody think of a good reason why I shouldn’t sell my entire
stock portfolio? And, what should I replace it with?

BARRY A CLEMSON

757-692-6673

Cybernetica Press at www.cyberneticapress.com

"It's not how much you do - it's how much love you put in it.... Do
small things with great love."
             --- Mother Teresa ---

The true warrior may be killed, but he can not be defeated.
    --- my paraphrase of Sensei Hamada ---

And peace rolled down like a mighty river.
        -- Inspired by the prophet Amos 5:24--

"An enemy is a person whose story we have not heard."
            -- Gene Knudsen Hoffman --