Allenna

Economics is not so hard and if left to Economists alone the world would be in an even worst state because the UK had a water based economic-model in the 50's that work but showed their assumptions wrong because is was inelastic.

The combination of events that makes this mess even possible to solve is a series of accidental laws, driven by post criminal events, that were enacted in the late 70's and 80's and drove capital up first in the insurance industry and then the banks.

The failure of regulation was not to take the process one step further and demand all new financial products be vetted before being sold to the public whether so-called educated investor or joe.

The process that drove the reinsurance spiral of the late 70's and 80's was obvious to all but the DTI didn't stop it even when they could see the problem. Market forces drove capital up in the insurance industry and the rapid spread of globalisation also spread the processes of leverage within the reinsurance market into the capital markets: A CDO is a portfolio reinsurance similar to the LMX spiral that destroyed a lot of lives in Lloyd's.

Indeed I warned them that risk must be supported with Liquidity in the early 90's but JPM first brought out RiskMetrics then CreditMetrics and everyone thought that the world was Normal (Binomial). It isn't. They were using models and pricing processes that didn't fit the risks because data wasn't pure (LTCM).

All businesses, and finance is the most critical for risk pricing, are dynamic; conditional; and therefore unknowable unless you have a map to see where the risks are being played out. Top-down and bottom-up.

The risk pricing and swapping processes that existed in reinsurance in the late 70's were far more sophisticated that any I've seen in finance to-date but failed ultimately because their universe of risk was bounded in economic premium size, and coupled to Nature and the US's legal structure, which as we know is out of control. A society that sues for the merest whiff of money and doesn't accept self-responsibility for anything has driven us to the brink.

Previous emails herein have considered Blame. No single individual was to blame, that would demand a planned approach to the current situation and something I don't care to think about. What was to blame is our continued blindness is regulating leveraged banking when common sense says the worlds economic situation shows single figure yields but bankers think they can get 30% returns for years.

What was synthesised in my mind the moment I saw the VSM was the possibility

The Plumtree Insurance Company was Coopers & Lybrand's UK training model for insurance company audit, it had Expert Systems discretely placed at important parts of the processing of risk pricing and exposure monitoring. At the board reporting level the system had control over all the HP Mini's data, managing the DTI reporting function through another set of Rules. All the rules were self-similar because code was re-used over and over again to achieve simplicity and speed. The company could get its quarterly reports actuarially assessed and signed off within 2-weeks of close.

How do I know so much about this? Because I designed it using Lotus Symphony, a PICK-based HP software and an expert system shell called GURU using Compaq PC's in 1983, for a company called Bryanston Insurance Company (Robert Holmes a'Court Bell Group).

If you looked inside the company it had feed-forward parameters, networked audit, a board that didn't just sit monthly but daily and an online risk pricing system with one-day at best time-lags. As the business got more complex all we did was plug the new division into the system.

The company failed for two reasons. The DTI allowed the business to be bought but never asked the management what research they'd done on the acquirers for they had and the DTI had not. The second was human greed of a new group CEO who had no relative risk experience, again a DTI required monitoring process.

11-years later, after all, Black Monday, the 1992 debacle, LTCM, Big Bang etc I presented Synergy, a new insurance product, to the FSA whose initial response was 'why don't all financial products get looked at before they go on the market?' We agreed.

I'm reading Greenspan's autobiography for support in my PhD along with a book called 'A Devil of our own making' kindly sent to me by Angelo who you met last year. Greenspan could easily have spotted the problem if he'd got the right data for that was what he made his name in the first place. The problem is that they don't have the right data, don't vet products and their impact and have allowed common-sense to wither.

When Basle II was mooted, I presented products to adapt capital dynamically and look at operational risk through the eyes of the VSM, thereby forcing the regulators to search for boundaries and couplings across multiple domains. Everything you say in your reply to Barry is sound and economically good sense but when Harvard pumps out MBA's at the rate they have the re-education process is going to be horrid: The World had shown again fixed paradigms don't work but a good map will always guide you in principle.

In the capital markets volatility is where money is made and JPM are doing fabulously well today trading all sorts of stuff. So things aren't all what the papers/TV say they are.

For you, and those who had the staying power to get this far, there's more, thank you Allenna, you've made me sketch out the next 2-years of research work!

Stefan