Javier,

Sorry to be so slow in responding to your very important point about
workers. I think there are two lessons we can take from the literature
of nonviolence and also from Naomi Klein's Shock Treatment. The
message is very explicit in Naomi's work, but I think the history of
nonviolent movements also reinforces the point.

Naomi says:
1) shock treatment, defined to be numerous traumatic changes in a
short period of time, leaves people in shock and therefore unable to
defend or stand up for themselves.
2) eventually the shock wears off and they assert themselves.

One of her examples is Pinochet's brutalization of Chile and his
overthrow 17 years later.

I think it is generally true that when people are traumatized they
will, for a while, accept almost any crumbs that allow them to
survive. But we are an ornery and stubborn people. Eventually we get
tired of being brutalized and exploited and say "no more". We saw that
is South Africa and we saw it in Mississippi in the early 1960s. I met
people in Mississippi who the Klan had done their worst to to try to
frighten them and they just went about trying change the racist system
-- and eventually did.

Naomi also says that when a people have lived thru a shock once, it is
much harder to do it to them again. I don't know if this is true, but
I hope so.

So there is hope for those workers who are being exploited. Eventually
they will get tired and another Cesar Chavez or Martin Luther King
will come along and the exploiters will wonder what happened.

Barry