Print

Print


Stefan,

I find your comments puzzling and would like clarification.

1) It seems to me that you are saying that Frank has a grudge -- is  
this correct? I found his piece to be a thoughtful critique that also  
was quite supportive of Wikipedia.

2) You say (and I agree) it is up to each of us to verify the facts we  
seek. What Frank pointed out very nicely is that we might be  
blindsided by our unexamined assumptions. And if we are not even aware  
of our assumptions (which is often the case) we are quite thoroughly  
trapped by them and unable to check our facts.

3) i saw no hint of a suggestion to prefer "the current filtering of  
information and the writing of history by the winners". Rather I saw  
support for Wikipedia. Where did this come from?

4) Perhaps I am merely clueless but I don't see how his specific  
profession provides any clue to his viewpoint.

Please help me out here.

Barry


On Oct 23, 2008, at 11:01 AM, Stefan Wasilewski wrote:

> I generally find that people who criticise but don't offer an  
> alternative have a grudge and therefore to be put in one box to be  
> balanced as others are likewise accessed.
>
> Surely it's up to each and every one of us to verify the facts we  
> seek and in doing so learn accordingly: Nothing should be taken on  
> face value.
>
> Would he prefer the current filtering of information and the writing  
> of history by the winners to remain as our only sources?
>
> His profession should give a clue to viewpoint.
>
> Stefan
>
> On 23 Oct 2008, at 13:24, Frank wrote:
>
>> Dear Listm
>> http://www.technologyreview.com/web/21558/?nlid=1452&a=f
>>
>> Any comments?
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Frank Wood
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ For  
>> more information go to: www.metaphorum.org For the Metaphorum  
>> Collaborative Working Environment (MCWE) go to:www.platformforchange.org 
>>  METAPHORUM eList Archive available at - https://listserv.heanet.ie/ucd-staffordbeer.html 
>>  Archive of CYBCOM eList available at - http://hermes.circ.gwu.edu/archives/cybcom.html 
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ For  
> more information go to: www.metaphorum.org For the Metaphorum  
> Collaborative Working Environment (MCWE) go to: www.platformforchange.org 
>  METAPHORUM eList Archive available at - https://listserv.heanet.ie/ucd-staffordbeer.html 
>  Archive of CYBCOM eList available at - http://hermes.circ.gwu.edu/archives/cybcom.html 
>  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



===================================================

BARRY A CLEMSON
[log in to unmask]

757-692-6673

Cybernetica Press at www.cyberneticapress.com



"It's not how much you do - it's how much love you put in it.... Do  
small things with great love."
             --- Mother Teresa ---

The true warrior may be killed, but he can not be defeated.
    --- my paraphrase of Sensei Hamada ---

And peace rolled down like a mighty river.
        -- Inspired by the prophet Amos 5:24--





~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
For more information go to: www.metaphorum.org

For the Metaphorum Collaborative Working Environment (MCWE) go to:  www.platformforchange.org

METAPHORUM eList Archive available at - https://listserv.heanet.ie/ucd-staffordbeer.html

Archive of CYBCOM eList available at - http://hermes.circ.gwu.edu/archives/cybcom.html
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~