Position Announcement

Seasonal Research Assistant: Oregon State University: (posting updated
5/8/2008)

Marine Ecology Seasonal Research Assistants (3) with the Partnership for Interdisciplinary Studies of Coastal Oceans (PISCO).
Job IDs# ONSH 11, 12, or 13 2008

Job Description:
We are looking for enthusiastic individuals to assist in rocky intertidal research on the Oregon Coast. The marine ecology research focuses include mussel and barnacle larval recruitment and settlement, community ecology, and species interactions projects. This position involves both lab and field work. The lab work will include counting samples at a stereo microscope. The field work activities will involve hiking to field sites, climbing on coastal cliffs with heavy equipment and working on rocky exposed shores. The individual must be willing to work early mornings or late nights, some weekends, and some overnight stays at field sites.

Required qualifications:

Program:
PISCO is a large-scale marine research program that focuses on understanding the nearshore and intertidal ecosystems of the U.S. West Coast.  An interdisciplinary collaboration of scientists from four universities, PISCO integrates long-term monitoring of ecological and oceanographic processes at dozens of coastal sites with experimental work in the lab and field.  We explore how individual organisms, populations, and
ecological communities vary over space and time.  PISCO's findings are applied to issues of ocean conservation and management, and are shared through public outreach and student training programs. For more information visit our website at: http://piscoweb.org/

Salary: $9.25
Dates: June 1- November 30 (one position); June 1 – August 30 (two positions)
Location: Oregon State University in Corvallis, Oregon
Housing:  We do not offer housing.
Transportation:  Transportation is provided to and from field sites.

If you would like to apply for this position, please email with Job ID# ONSH 11, 12, or 13 2008 as the subject (11= 6 month, 12&13 =3 month):

To:       Jerod Sapp; PISCO lab manager;  [log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
For more information, contact Jerod by email or check out our website at http://www.piscoweb.org