Dear Rod:

I came to this thread after Steve has so nicely responded to your
comments in a very similar direction that I'd like to do. Stafford also
influenced my views on this as we did have ourselves this same
conversation: he was the first one to alert me in periods of my life
when I still felt a big responsibility in producing 'massive social
changes' - in my own country - as I felts that cybernetics would be such
a useful tool for that purpose; he was always aware that it could also
be a good tool for domination and empowerment of people with selfish,
not precisely humanistic goals - ; I did learn -not in a painless way-
this lessons!

I did even discuss with him the possibilities of Org Cybernetics to be
used in topics of sustainability and he had accepted to supervise my
post-doctoral research on this topic before he became ill and died in
2002. He also alerted me on the paradoxical idea of 'sustainable
development' as he considered that there couldn't be any thing called
'sustainable' development; development (growth) can NOT and should not
be sustained as this is against the basis ideas of homeostasis and
viability!

So I am not -as you may think- inviting people to a messianic
expedition; I am more than aware of our major limitations to produce a
massive change. But I am still optimistic of the way that social change
evolves, from a higher level of consciousness on fundamental issues. I
have witnessed before massive social changes emerging and wide spreading
very strongly and quickly -in topics highly relevant to a social group-

 If we talk about sustainability and cybernetics, we are not going to
invert the climate change or revert the peak oil -and it is not our
responsibility to take on board such a messianic task!-; but as others
have commented before, we do have a powerful language and tools to
reveal innovative mechanisms for learning and collaboration that could
still potentially contribute to raising consciousness and designing
tools to handle better the complexity  in small groups/ communities or
businesses; even to inspire governance and governments on policy and
regulatory issues. I would -as Stefan did- expect that once more we can
get together -somewhere - and have a good experience exploring this
topic in some detail and coming up with interesting and innovative
proposals for action/research.

Angela