Gary Ingle wrote:
>searching eDIL:
>
>cródacht -- DIL headword:  earlier meaning "cruelty, bloodthirstiness,"
>later meaning "bravery"
>
>doilghi  -- harshness, severity; DIL quotes our passage under headword
>"doilge"

  This passage is at D 307.17.

  I have a few other thoughts:

'fiú' - "worthy...sometimes passing into sense worthwhile" (DIL F 158.12)

   I thought it might translate as in Modern Irish  --

ní fiú dúinn -- it's not worthwhile for us

How about

  'It's not worthwhile for us to fight against him because of his harshness and
cruelty' ?    Liz