On Fr, 28.12.2007, 19:05, Lorcán Bermingham wrote:

> There seems to be inconsistancy regarding the prepositional pronouns in
> that some are (stand-alone) lenited:
>
> CHUIG; Chugam, Chugat etc..
> THAR; Tharam, Tharat etc..,
>
> whereas others are not:
> DO; Dom, Duit etc..
> FAOI: Fúm, Fút etc..
> DE: Díom, Díot etc..
>
> Is there a historical reason for the difference ?

As Dennis already pointed out, you are talking about Modern Irish forms
here, not Old Irish. The corresponding OIr. forms usually appear to have
no lenition. But this may be only apparently so. It is possible that
prepositions and conjugated prepositions originally regularly underwent
mutations, depending on what mutating effect the preceding word had. But
in most cases we simply don't see it because the deficiencies of the
spelling system do not show the mutations. Sometimes it can be seen,
though, e.g. nasalisations on forms of "do". What must have happened was
that in some cases mutated (i.e. mainly lenited) forms of the prepositions
became generalised in the course of time, and in some cases not.

A happy and successful new year to everyone.

David