On Sa, 19.01.2008, 06:52, Liz Gabay wrote:

> Could he be talking about maiming the horse by cutting the tendons in its
> legs to cripple it? Or other maiming of the animal?

When I read of maiming horses, I always have to think of a scene in the
Welsh "Branwen Daughter of Llyr", one branch of the Mabinogi. There
Efnisien, the bad-guy and evildoer of the tale, out of mere mischief, cuts
the lips, ears and tails of the king of Ireland's horses. The horses
become valueless by this. This results in a diplomatic crisis, and all the
disaster that happens afterwards is more or less a consequence of this
destructive act.

David