"Tom and all,
Back in the sixties when I was living in Manchester I was taken to a
Connolly Association social.  The entertainment for the evening was a
man who sat down, took a strange looking animal out of a box and
proceeded to torture it: the unfortunate creature responded with the
most heart-rending shrieks and howls.
I later learned that the entertainer was Felix Doran, and I have often
regretted that I never really took advantage of the fact the he played
in my local pub every Suday morning - but I put that down to living and
learning.
Best,
Jim Carroll"

Yes, exactly. Lincoln is not far Manchester and I regret that I was
unaware during the 1960's of the Doran's, and that Felix Doran was
living so close, more's the pity. I wasn't even aware that the uilleann
pipes existed back then. I never saw a set of pipes, or or even heard
anyone play the flute at the Lincoln folk club in those days. It was
mostly beards and guitars, even the men wore beards. As far as fiddles
go I remember Robin & Barry Dransfield were regular guests, as was
Martin Carthy, the Humblebums, Shirley & Dolly Collins, Leon Rosselson,
Hedy West, Nigel Denver, Muckram Wakes, the Watersons, the Copper Family
etc. Regarding Felix, some time ago Brian Schuel sent me the link to his
site that has some great photos of Felix Doran I hadn't seen before,
including one Brian took of Michael Gorman, Felix Doran and Packie Byrne
at the Keele Folk Festival, in I think, 1966. There's also photos of
Ewan McColl and a host of other musicians from those days

Thomas Johnson