Tom honored me by inviting me to co-teach the song seminars at the Willie
Clancy week for two years in the mid-eighties. These weeks are among my
happiest memories -- Tom was such fun to be with, always looking for a
laugh, always ready to skewer silly ideas -- but always (at least in class)
with tact and kindness.  It was no mean achievement to win the trust and
regard of both the traditional communities in which he worked and the
academic world - especially the latter, given his intolerance for hot air.
Irish traditional song has been uncommonly blessed in having Tom as its
chief champion and advocate, and I am so sad that heaven claimed him before
I could see him again.

Has anyone heard about funeral arrangements?  Never mind the welcome he's
sure to get on the Other Side -- he deserves a glorious send-off here first.

Virginia Blankenhorn