Seán wrote:

> Taking the sentence "Is di Ultaibh do" I would immediately re-write

> it as "Is d'Ultaibh (de Ultaibh) dó” (Is of Ulstermen to him) with

> the meaning “He is of the Ulstermen”, i.e., he is one of them.

This feels naggingly like instance of fronting, even though it

can't be mechanically restored to a non-fronted statement in

the usual way:

Is oc precept sosceli at·tó. <  At·tó oc precept sosceli.

Dennis

I meant to get around to this earlier but things got in the way.  Dennis is
correct in seeing this as a type of fronting, but a specific type in that it
employs the "oc + verbal noun".  Incidentally, after looking for a modern
Irish term for "fronting" and not finding one that I liked, I suggested a
couple to An Coiste Téarmaíochta.  Some of them were so intentionally awful
that there was reluctant acceptance of the suggestion “frontáil”.  Any
reaction to this from list members?  Is it not remarkable that there seems
to be no clear and simple term in modern Irish for this very common aspect
of the language that dates back as far as we can go in Old Irish?  Was there
a term in Old Irish, or in the writings of the contemporary experts
(Eochaidh Ó hEódhasa, for example) on aspects of “An Dán Díreach”?

Seán