Greetings all.

I found this passage from The Irish version
of the Historia Britonum of Nennius
from: CELT: The Corpus of Electronic Texts
The author is unknown and the dating uncertain.
The manuscripts are from the 13th and 14 centuries.

p.144

      Who settled in Breagh-magh,
      Six demon-like druids.
37. - Necromancy and idolatry, druidism,
      In a fair and well-walled house,
      Plundering in ships, bright poems,
      By them were taught.
38. - The honoring of sredhs and omens,
      Choice of weather, lucky times,
      The watching the voices of birds,
      They practiced without disguise.

p.144

      nad cesead for Breagmach
      seisear demnach druadh.
37. - Druidheacht is idlacht, maith,
      in ailc min glan mur glan,
      barc dibeirgi, duain gil,
      is uaidib ro munadh.
38. - Moradh sred is mana,
      raga sin, am sona,
      gotha Ún do faire
      cairi gach ceol cona.

This translation is by a 19th century scholar. They sometimes
seem to rely on rather literal translations (not to mention
antagonistic) at the expense of the context.

Now I understand the author may himself have been antagonistic
in his view of Celtic polytheism in general and druids in particular,
but in my attempts at researching alternate meanings, I can't
find any support for some of the translations.  I make no
pretense at being a language scholar yet, and readily admit to being a
beginning student, but it seems to me that this translation is in
desperate need of un update.

For example, line one of division 37.  I can find no definitions of
"maith" that are related to anything in the translated line... quite
the contrary every definition I can find relates to goodness... morally
good, and the like. What was translated as idolatry seems to be more
accurately polytheism.

Another oddity; line 3 of division 37: "barc dibeirgi".  The plundering
of ships is not generally regarded as an art taught by the druids.
Can anyone suggest an alternate meaning?

I suspect "sredhs" in line 1 of division 38 might refer to streams, but
that's mostly a guess.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
--
Wade