Here it is. It is from the website of a period costumer, and she  provides a citation. I quote most of it below, there's more on the page  (and a link to her bibliography).
  http://www.celticgarb.org/clothing/cloak.html
  --Andrew

  "For folks looking for a warm garment that is more tailored than a large  blanket, I stumbled across a useful discussion of jacket-like capes  (O'Curry, pgs. cccxc-cccxii).
     The Cocul was a short hooded cloak or cape, with or  without a second skirted cape over the first, and having arm holes, or  sleeves, sometimes reaching only to the elbow, and at others covering  the whole arm....Belonging to but not always attached to the Cocul, was a Cenuid or conical hood, sometimes of the same color as the cape, and sometimes a different one, and having a tassel at its apex.      "...Like the inar and trius, the Cocul was worn by common soldiers (charioteers are cited as a specific example).
     The Irish Cochlin or small hooded capes appear to represent the Roman or Gallo-Roman Cucullio. The latter, like the fuller mantle, was much used at night and in travelling, especially in rainy weather. The Cucullus  seems to have been adopted at a very early periord by the clergy....In  the eighth century its use was practically confined by synodal decree  to monks bound to it by a vow, and occasionally to priests in very cold  weather. In the eighth century the Cocul was considered in  Wales and neighboring countries as characteristic Irish dress, and the  coarse, long-napped woollen cloth of which it was made continued to be  an important export of Ireland up to at least the middle of the  fourteenth century.      "From this I interpret there was a small hooded cape that  originally was popular with soldiers, but, evolved to the point that it  became recognized as "Irish" clothing by neighboring cultures. It was  the same basic garment as one that was associated with
 monks throughout  the geographical regions closer to Rome."
--Eachna

Dennis King <[log in to unmask]> wrote:  Andrew wrote:

> If this hooded version would be of interest to you, I can look
> up the citation and pass it on. Let me know.

Yes, please!

Dennis

www.OldBelief.org