I would be hesitant to attribute the style of dress to Padraig. After  all, wasn't the Life of Patrick written many centuries later? The  manuscripts have a tendency to put their favourite clothing on their  favourite characters, regardless of period accuracy.

  A.

Dennis King <[log in to unmask]> wrote:> táilcend 'adze-head', which becomes 'táilgeann'

So the (unattested) modern reflex of "tollcend" would be "tollgeann",
and a poncho could reasonably be called a "brat tollgeann"?

This is pure speculation now, but I wonder if the "tuigen" of the
poets could have been a kind of "bratt tollcend"?

Dennis

www.OldBelief.org