>More interesting for me is Pokorny's gloss of Middle Welsh _tut_ as
>'magician' cognate with Middle Irish _tuathaid_ 'magician, witch'.  Do you
>happen to know which text MW _tut_ can be found in with the meaning
>'magician'?

I could be wrong, but I think it is only found as an epithet of a man named
Morgan, chief physician of King Arthur, in the medieval tale of Gereint uab
Erbin. I know that John Rhys (Studies in the Arthurian Legend) suggested
that "tut" was a MS corruption of "hut" (ie, MoW hud, "magic") and proposed
that hut could have also meant a practitioner of magic, or, more simply, an
elf. He believed that Morgan *Hut was the Welsh equivalent of Morgan la Fee.

The tale might have originated in Brittany, however, so tut could have been
the correct form and, since it apparently meant demon/phantasm, could have
been the _Breton_ equivalent of Morgant la Fee. Of course, since Morgan is a
masculine name in Breton and Welsh, the character was taken to be a man (at
least in the Welsh version of the Gereint tale).

- Chris Gwinn

The MSN Entertainment Guide to Golden Globes is here.  Get all the scoop.
http://tv.msn.com/tv/globes2007/