I did a search of the archive but I didn't find much about this
interesting word, which I saw in "Stories from the Táin".

"Do-géni fecht n-aile dano" (My translation: Then he made another warlike
expedition.)

  Here's what Strachan says "Fecht (=Welsh gwaith) g. fechtae f.
I. Warlike expedition, fight, exploit; (2) course, time 'fecht n-and' once
upon a time. 'ind fecht sa' and 'in fecht sa' now.  From 'in fechtsa came
Middle Irish 'ifechtsa, fechtsa' whence by metathesis 'ifesta, festa'
whence Modern Irish 'feasta'.

  DIL has "fecht a, f, later also masculine, sometimes neuter..a course,
journey, expedition usually one in which a number of persons participate
and often of a hostile enterprise...'fecht féile' a journey of (free)
entertainment, visit of hospitality...II. a time, occasion= French fois,
German Mal;  cf. similar use of Welsh 'gwaith' and in later Irish of dul,
turas; in this sense apparently always neuter or masculine."

  I wonder if 'fecht' is related to English 'fight'.

    And did the word originally refer to an expedition for war, and these
expeditions were so common in ancient Ireland that the word came to mean
any kind of occasion or journey?
   (Norwegians have 'fekte' which may or may not be related.  It
translates as 'fight' but I don't think it's the usual word used for the
concept.  It has a narrower meaning and mostly refers to sword fighting or
fencing.)

   Modern Irish 'feasta' translates as 'from now on, henceforth' FGB.

   Liz Gabay