On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 08:59:56 +0200, David Stifter scríbas:

>The final paragraph:
>
>H:
>58. "Et cid bîas and didiu?" 20) ol 21) Bricîn.
>"Foraithmett cretme Ancrîst", 22) ol in t-aingel.
>"Ba trôcar do Dîa", ol Pricîn, "nâ tairsed 23) lucht na hinse siu 24)
>innsin." "Ni tairsiud 25) êm", ol in t-aingiul,  <snip>
>20) E: iarsin
>
>21) E: or
>
>22) E: ainticrist
>
>23) E: tairsid
>
>24) E: inda hinnsi si
>
>25) E: thairsit

  Here's what I have so far:

“Et cid bias and didiu?” ol Bricín.

"Foraithmet creitme Ainchríst", ol int aingel.

“Ba trócar do Día,” ol Bricín, "ná tairised lucht na hinse siu in sin.”

“Ní·tairised éim,” ol int aingel,

“And who will there be then?” said Bricín.

“A remembrance of faith, Antichrist,” said the angel.

“It was a mercy from God,” said Bricín, “that the people of the island
didn’t stay here then.”

“They didn’t stay indeed,” said the angel,

  “Et” looks like Latin.  “Cid” is listed as the interrogative
pronoun ‘cia’ plus the 3rd singular present subjunctive of the copula (See
DIL C 171.34).  ‘Bîas’ looks like the future singular relative of the
substantive verb. ‘And’ looks like the preposition ‘i’ plus the 3rd
singular masculine and neuter pronoun; it is “Frequently to be
translated ‘there, therein’...used predicatively with substantive verb
expressing existence and in identification clauses” (DIL I 5.70).
Here ‘didiu’ seems to be “used to denote temporal sequence  then,
thereupon” (DIL D 85.61).  I suppose a more literal translation of the
sentence would be “And who should it be that will be there then?” but that
is long and awkward.

  ‘Foraithmet’ is an o stem neuter later masculine  translating
as “remembering, calling to mind...remembrance..Esp. commemoration (of a
saint)” It’s the verbal noun of ‘for-aithminedar’.   ‘Cretme’ looks like
the genitive singular of ‘creitem’ (faith, belief).

  ‘Ancrîst’ looks like ‘ainchríst’ (antichrist).  I assume that it would
be indeclinable, like ‘Chríst’.  I can’t make sense out of this sentence.
I wonder if ‘Foraithmett’ could be a form of the verb, rather than the
verbal noun here.

  ‘Ba’ is probably 3rd singular past of copula here and ‘trôcar’ is
probably the noun “mercy”;  the ‘do’ following ‘trôcar’ is likely to be a
confusion for ‘de’.

    I thought ‘nâ tairsed’ was the “conjunction introducing a subordinate
relative clause” here plus a form of “do-airissedar...later as simple
verb ‘tairisid’” (“stands, stays, remains...hence exists, happens to
be...comes to a stand, halts,  stops”).   DIL D 190.7 gives an example of
3rd singular subjunctive imperfect “conna tairised”.

   I thought ‘lucht na hinse siu’ was the subject of ‘tairsed’.  ‘Lucht’
translates “people, class of persons..household, occupants” and ‘inse’
looks like genitive singular of ‘inis’ (island), and ‘siu’ looks like the
adverb ‘here’ (“dative of ‘so’ used in a locative sense”).

    DIL S 232.76 lists ‘in sin’ as a substantival form of the adverb and
demonstrative “there; that, those”.  It looks like the older form of
Modern Irish ‘ansin’ (then, there).

  ‘Ni tairsiud’ looked like the negative particle plus the same conjunct
form of ‘do-airissedar’.  DIL N 42.51 says “In Middle Irish , ní seems to
lenite the initial consonant of following active verb” which goes along
with source E.

    Liz Gabay