On 19/4/05 09:15, "David Stifter" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Liz wrote:

>> In contrast to ‘dúire’, I thought ‘laged’ probably translates something
>> like  ‘weakness’ (related to Modern Irish ‘lag’).  I found the u stem
>> masculine ‘lacad’ the verbal noun of ‘lacaid’ which translates “act of
>> weakening, laying low”; examples show “cen lacad..undaunted”.  The
>> word is sometimes spelled “lagad” in the dictionary entry.
>
> The thought is good, but note that "lacad" isn't "weakness", but
> "weakening", which doesn't fit that well. I rather think that the
> word is "lagat" (also "laiget, loiget") "smallnes, scantiness,
> fewness".

On first sight-reading of the paragraph, "lagat" also came foremost to my
mind (of course it is closer to modern "laghad" than to modern "lagan"), but
I was immediately worried about how well "laghad a eagna" might fit here
either.

In fact, I had found "weakening" to suggest more sense to me (restraining
certain faculties, removing the blinkers of logic and such stuff), but
before getting too far into that, I notice a problem with the source
material -

> H:
> "Bîaid dino an muinemnach Macha. Bid moch a maton, 5) bid foda a
> nóin. Bid tôeb lethfás les 6), bis lidi 7) lethfúar, bid lassair 8)
> cumuscdai, bid cuma loiscfius dliged 7 indliged la dûiri 9) a
> chrâbuid 7 ar laged 10) a ecno." 11) "Is trôcaire Dê", ol Bricîn.
>

> 10) E: laged
>
> 11) E: ecna

Although marked as such, the form in E doesn't seem very varia a lectio.  Is
there further information available which might bear on the question?  (I
have at least gained some understanding of the stemma post-ZCP :-))

Micheál