Dennis wrote:
>(d) inur (= inar) do fhaoi (= fhigh) gach aos
>=   a tunic that each generation has woven

(I am very attached to my 'wall holding back the dark ages' - but I know
that is only because I am working in a University where the Vandals have
moved into Chancellery office. "Learning for its own sake" - *sigh* ...
those were the days!)

The metaphor in your version is at least as alluring as mine. Added to
this is the fact that my 'faoi' is a dubious word in the first place.
The past of 'figid' is much more solid. More importantly still, your
reading gets rid of the palatalisation I had to intrude into MS 'os'.
(If we can get rid of it in line (f) it would be very nice thing.)

Dennis:
>(f) ferr (?) gur bhuain re (= le) baos.
>=   better (?) (than) that (he) has won with folly.

>I'm not very clear on the expansion of the "f" with
>the thingy over it.

The little flame means 'er'. In the case of 'ferr' there are meant to be
two little flames. See the example at the start of line 6 on page 2
(stanza 17). (Your version would still require 'baois', wouldn't it?)

Also, could you explain your version a bit more? I treat 'b(h)ain' as
the verbal noun of 'boingid'. Are you reading 'bhuain' as a verb? (Which
one?) Or are you amending to 'baidh' (victory) and reading 'gur' as
'co' (so that) + pres. indic. copula?

Wouldn't your line actually mean 'it is better that he HAS won with
folly'? - which is not what we want. I would expect the 'than that' to
be expressed given this is the moral of the story. Wouldn't the desired
sense be given by something more like '[is] ferr n baidh le baois'?

Dennis:
> [...] your earlier "fios na n-g sna n-aos" seems just as
>likely. A perfect pun?

A pun on 'young' and 'age'? I hadn't thought of that. One thing I was
trying to avoid was to have 'es' (age) rhyming with itself in lines (b)
and (d). I suspect that isn't allowed.

Dennis:
> Line (c) ... possibly "a" (poetic inspiration, learning)?
>"gon a-s(a) n a anuas"
>= to this learning down from the (earlier) learning  (??)

Neil:
Wouldn't that require something like "gusan n-a-seo [etc]"?

Neil