Neil wrote:

> 8. NEW VERSION
> (a) Maar (n-)eólus úaidh féin
> (b) fios na n-ôg ’s na naos
> (c) go naoi ’s ó naoi anûas
> (d) mûr do fhaoi gac[h] áo[i]s
> (e) uaidh do•gheabh do grés
> (f) fer gACH b(h)ûain re bao[i]s.

Very nice, once again!  But here are some other readings just
to keep the ball in play.  I'm certainly not wedded to any of
them.

(d) inur (= inar) do fhaoi (= fháigh) gach aos
=   a tunic that each generation has woven

(f) ferr (?) gur bhuain re (= le) baos.
=   better (?) (than) that (he) has won with folly.

I'm not very clear on the expansion of the "f" with the
thingy over it.

> Great [is] learning of itself
> the knowledge of precedents and of traditions
> [handed on] to [one] person and from [that] person down.
> [It is] a wall for the twilight of each age.
> By it a man attains perpetually
> every harvest in the face of foolishness.

> Line (b): ‘fis óg’ is the standard etymological gloss on ‘fásach’
> (precedent). And I treat ‘naos’ as gen. pl.  of ‘noes’.

But your earlier "fios na n-ôg sna n-aos" seems just as likely.
A perfect pun?

> Line (c): ‘noe’ (person); and see DIL A 359.3 for ‘ó … anúas’.

Or possibly "aí" (poetic inspiration, learning)?

"gon aí-s(a) ón aí anuas"
= to this learning down from the (earlier) learning  (??)

Now that I have a photo of the whole page, I've been messing
with brightness and contrast, but no joy.  The notae and such
haven't suddenly revealed their secrets.

Dennis