Dennis wrote:

> I just verified that in Classical Modern Irish "ór" represents
> the preposition "ó" + relative.  Here's an example from Keating's
> "Foras Feasa":
[...]
> I think this confirms the reading:

> Gráinne daughter of Art,
> a dear generous nature/spirit;
> hard on us is not
> the family from which she was born.

I don't quite follow your logic here Dennis. I thought it was pretty
clear from DIL that 'ór' could represent 'ó + relative + ro' in Mid. Ir.
as well. But there is also an example in DIL of it meaning 'ó'
conjunction + 'ro'.

Suppose we saw an animal with four legs. The fact that you can prove a
cat has four legs does not confirm that our animal is a cat rather than
a dog. It may be that dogs have four legs too. (But just maybe though
don't.)

Having said that, I am happy to go with your cat. Less barking.

Neil