>> (b) Aigneth dûasach dil
>> (c) Daor oraind ni fhuil
>> (d) An crobhaing or chin

> Gráinne daughter of Art,
> dear gift-giving Aignech,
> hard on us is not
> the family from which he was born
> (or: from which he descended)

> I'm reading the end of the fourth line as "ór•chin" < ó + ar + chin.
> Does that work?

My initial reaction was that the 'crobhaing' ought to relate to both
Gráinne (or Art) and Aignech in someway, which made the verb in the
singular at the end of line (d) look a bit odd. The first line of the
poem now seemed somewhat disconnected from what follows (at least in
terms of grammatical relationships).

However, I have been assuming that 'Aignech' is a person, and in
particular Énna Aignech. This seems pretty unlikely to me now. For a
start, the 'g' is not lenited (whereas in this MS we would expect it to
be). Most likely we simply have 'aignEDh' = O.Ir. 'aicned'. (I have
remembered belatedly that the contraction at the end here, the lenited
'et' sign, can stand equally for 'eth' or 'edh': see Binchy's intro to
the CIH at xiv.)

So I suggest:

(a) Grâinne inGEN Airt
(b) Aignedh dûasach dil

Gráinne daughter of Art,
a dear gift-giving disposition!,

This leaves one further matter. The poem ought to say that the
'crobhaing' descended FROM Art (or Gráinne) is not hard on us, rather
than to say that the 'crobhaing' from which Art himself descended all
those centuries ago is not hard on 'us'. It is Art's descendants, not
his ancestors, that would be in a position to be hard or otherwise on
the 'us' in the present ('daor oraind ni fhuil' is in the present tense
after all).

I therefore suggest that we treat the 'ô' as the conjunction 'since',
rather than as the preposition 'ó' + relative particle.

(c) Daor oraind ni fhuil
(d) An crobhaing ô-r•chin

 hard on us is not
 that race, ever since she was born.

[Do Eanna Aighneach so sis:
According to the Annals of the Four Masters, Eanna Aighneach was King of
Ireland in AM 4888 (which I calculate to be 312 BC). Aigneach is only an
epithet, and I doubt he would be cited here by his epithet alone. I was
drawn to him in the first place because Keating's History of Ireland
(vol ii p 178) describes him as being very generous - and I assumed that
that why this relatively obscure character was cited here in the first
place. But Keating's explanation is in turn (it would seem) based a
pseudo-etymological gloss on the epithet itself, which he analyses as
'ógh-eineach .i. oineach iomlán' (perfect-repute i.e. complete
generosity): see meaning 3 for oinech (< enech) in FGB.]

Neil