On 6/4/05 14:38, "David Stifter" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Liz wrote:
>
>>> 54. "Bîaid dana in t-ardmoltaig 29) na fîrinia Inis Cloitgi ré cethri
>>> mbliadna ar .xl. Bid ê in qûach 30) findruine forsin crois lûaidide 31) .i.
>>> tûaruscbâil tarbo a ciund êtarboi. 32) Cairidfid clôiniu." 33) "Is trôcor",
>>> ol Bricîn.
>>>
>> Then there will be the great admirer of justice of Inis Cloitge before (for?)
>> forty-four years.  He will be the white bronze bowl upon the leaden cross,
>> that is, a useful appearance in a useless head (literally head of
>> uselessness).  He will rebuke wicked things.”  “It is a mercy,” said Bricín.
>>
> As to "fírinia", I wonder if this is really "fírinne" or maybe something else.
> "fírinne" always has a double "nn". I also wonder if the "na" in front of it
> really is the article and not rather "i" + poss. pron. = "in his
> truthfulness".
>
>> I thought ‘na fîrinia’ was the genitive of ‘fírinne’ an ia feminine stem noun
>> “justice, righteousness”.
>>
> In MidIr. the word shouldn't be translated as "justice", but rather as
> "truth(fulness)". Neil probably could tell us what the ordinary word for
> justice was.
>
>> I couldn’t find ‘Inis Cloitgi’ in the onomasticon.  I wondered if it was
>> appropriate not to put ‘Inis’ into the genitive ‘Inse’ here.  Could use of
>> the nominative ‘Inis’ in a genitive construction have been an acceptable
>> variant at the time?  I don’t know.
>>
> Strange indeed. Maybe the final "a" of "fírinia" doesn't belong to the
> preceding word but is the preposition "out of". Then "Inis" would make sense.

A form from fírén (earlier also fírían) would solve the -n- rather than -nn-
problem but be unsatisfactory regarding the second syllable and quality of
the -ini-.  Against it also would be the general move towards -én in most
formations from the word, the later the language.  However, given the
closeness of the meanings at times, there is scope for confusion and
corruption.  (Don't bank on it but I think PH threw up some examples during
one of my previous incarnations.)

Another possibility (not without its own problems with marks of length),
separating the final "a" to give the independent preposition as David
suggests, is "firini" - the great admirer of the little men of Inis Clóitgi.
The chances that a scribe (or an editor) would add a mark of length to the
first syllable of that would be fairly high.

MÓC