On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 09:42:58 +0200, David Stifter scríbas:

>H:
>54. "Bîaid dana in t-ardmoltaig 29) na fîrinia Inis Cloitgi ré cethri
>mbliadna ar .xl. Bid ê in qûach 30) findruine forsin crois lûaidide
>31) .i. tûaruscbâil tarbo a ciund êtarboi. 32) Cairidfid clôiniu."
>33) "Is trôcor", ol Bricîn.
>
>29) E: airdmoltaig
>
>30) E: cuach
>
>31) E: lúaidi
>
>32) E: tarba i ciunn ettarba
>
>33) E: cairigfid clæini

  Here’s what I have.  I am continuing to work on the translation of
earlier parts also. Some parts are not easy to translate and I may post
them with more extensive comments than usual.

  “Biaid dano int ardmoltaig na fírinne Inis Cloitgi ré cetheóraib
mblíadnai ar chethorcait.  Bid é in cúach findruine forsin chrois
lúaidi .i. túarascbáil torbae i ciund étarbai.  Cairigfid cláeniu.”  “Is
trócor”, ol Bricín.

  Then there will be the great admirer of justice of Inis Cloitge before
(for?) forty-four years.  He will be the white bronze bowl upon the leaden
cross, that is, a useful appearance in a useless head (literally head of
uselessness).  He will rebuke wicked things.”  “It is a mercy,” said
Bricín.

  I thought ‘in t-ardmoltaig’ was the masculine article plus a compound of
the adjective ‘ard’ (high,tall) and a noun ‘moltaig’ which I couldn’t find
in the dictionary but I thought it meant ‘praiser, one who praises, one
who admires’.  There is an adjective ‘moltach’ (“praiseworthy, admirable”)
but I didn’t think it should end in ‘-aig’ in the nominative singular. In
Modern Irish, one wouldn’t write ‘int ardmoltaig na fírinne’ with two
articles like that.  A single article would suffice ‘ardmoltaig na
fírinne’.  Is that also true in Old Irish?

  I thought ‘na fîrinia’ was the genitive of ‘fírinne’ an ia feminine stem
noun “justice, righteousness”.

 I couldn’t find ‘Inis Cloitgi’ in the onomasticon.  I wondered if it was
appropriate not to put ‘Inis’ into the genitive ‘Inse’ here.  Could use of
the nominative ‘Inis’ in a genitive construction have been an acceptable
variant at the time?  I don’t know.

   I found this in the onomasticon, but it doesn’t seem to refer to an
island:

   “clóitech; Cath Clóitige by Aedh Ornide against Domnall Mac Aeda
Muindeirgg, Ll. 183 a; cath Clóitigi betw. Cenél Conaill and Cenél Eogain,
Au. i. 266; al. imairecc Claidighe, now Clady, 4 m. S. of Lifford, Od.,
Fm. an. 784.”

    There is a River Clady in County Donegal.  Does it have a monastic
site on an island  between its banks?

  I used the dative form for ‘cethri’ which I found in Thurneysen p. 242,
but I’m not sure it’s correct since it’s so different in spelling from the
word in the source.

   I thought ‘in qûach’ was the o stem masculine ‘cúach’ (a later form per
DIL) translating “cup, goblet, bowl” and sometimes referring to a larger
vessel like a cauldron.

 Here is part of the dictionary entry for ‘findruine’ –“Stokes suggested
that it was a corruption of ‘findbruine’ meaning ‘white
bronze’...Thurneysen takes the word to be a derivative from ‘finn’
and ‘ór’ meaning ‘white gold’, gold from which the silver with which it is
often found has not been entirely separated.  Apparently an amalgam of
copper? Or gold?  with silver.  In value it is ranked below gold and above
bronze.”

  I thought ‘crois lûaidide’ was the accusative or dative of the a stem
feminine ‘cros’ (cross) and the genitive singular of ‘lúaide’ (“the metal
lead”).  I could make no sense out of the two ‘d’s in source H so I used
the form from source E.  I couldn't make sense out of the imagery of a
bowl upon a cross either so I wonder if I'm misunderstanding the image
here.  Did the Irish attach bowls or other vessels to crosses for some
ceremonial purpose?

    ‘Tûaruscbâil’ is straightforward.  It translates as “act of giving an
account of, describing...account, description...appearance,
characteristics” and is the verbal noun of do-fúarascaib.  I
thought ‘tarbo’ was the genitive singular of ‘torbae’ an io-stem neuter
later ia feminine  translating “profit, benefit...usefulness, labor,
work”.  I used the feminine genitive form but I’m not sure whether or not
the neuter is better;  I thought the neuter genitive would be ‘tarbai’.

   Since ‘ciund’ clearly looked like a dative singular form of ‘cenn’ to
me, I thought ‘a’ was the preposition ‘i’ with the dative meaning
of ‘inside’. I suppose it could also be the preposition meaning ‘out of,
from’.  Either is possible.

    I thought ‘êtarboi’ was the genitive singular of the io neuter, later
masculine, noun “étarbae” a thing of no profit, a useless, vain thing”
which looks like the opposite of ‘torbae’ above.

   ‘Cairidfid’ looks like the 3rd singular future of ‘cairigid’ (“rebukes,
accuses, blames”) and ‘clôiniu’ looks like the accusative plural  of the
o stem masculine substantive use of ‘cláen’ (“figurative..iniquity,
wickedness”).
               Liz Gabay