Micheál wrote:

> On first sight-reading of the paragraph, "lagat" also came foremost to
> my mind (of course it is closer to modern "laghad" than to modern
> "lagan"), but I was immediately worried about how well "laghad a
> eagna" might fit here either.

Well, there were a couple of paragraphs in BaBr where the
descriptions couldn't actually be considered complimentary. From this
point of view, "small wisdom" isn't unfitting.

> > "Bîaid dino an muinemnach Macha. Bid moch a maton, 5) bid foda a
> > nóin. Bid tôeb lethfás les 6), bis lidi 7) lethfúar, bid lassair 8)
> > cumuscdai, bid cuma loiscfius dliged 7 indliged la dûiri 9) a
> > chrâbuid 7 ar laged 10) a ecno." 11) "Is trôcaire Dê", ol Bricîn.
> >
> > 10) E: laged
>
> Although marked as such, the form in E doesn't seem very varia a
> lectio.

As I said, I haven't got pictures of the MSS; I must solely rely on
Meyer's edition in ZCP which I actually suspect not to be absolutely
reliable. Very frequently the so-called variae lectiones contain
nothing but rather trivial spelling variations. But "laged" in E is
not such a trivial case: The palatalised "g" there, which has no
place in "lacad", could tip the scales in favour of "lagat" with its
by-forms "laiget, loiget".

David