Neil wrote:

> For more on cauldrons with lids, here is an extract from a very
> interesting text edited and translated by Tadhg O’Donoghue (‘Advice to
> a Prince’) in Ériu ix (1921-23) at p 43 ff.
>
> This really is an intriguing text, but O’Donoghue doesn’t offer a date
> for it or any real analysis of its relationship with the other wisdom
> texts. David Stifter is our resident guru on wisdom texts.

This is saying too much... Anyway, since the poem is in LL, it must
be 12 cent. at the latest. It is ascribed to 8th cent. poets in some
MSS, but the language betrays this as wrong. Forms like "cingfinn"
and "innisfind" are clearly MidIr.  So my guess would fall somewhere
in the 12th century, or maybe 11th.

David