Though the gloss on 'ceann mr' that it refers to a physical
characteristic of the man is commonly repeated,  there is certainly
an alternative explanation, that it corresponds with what is a
standard Scots term for the 'man at the top', 'high heid yin'.  Cf
the gloss on 'sinn fin' that there is something more than
'ourselves' about it, again repeated from one non-Gael writer to
another.

This does not of course remove the explanation that 'ceann mr' began
as a reference to the size of the lad's head.

Best wishes,

Gordon