>But yes, I think it's true (I'm no scholar of printing) that,
>following the model of handwriting, Gutenberg and perhaps other early
>printers, did make alternative types for the same character and would
>juggle these, so that the lines justified nicely.

A historical footnote: For the original font of his Spiral type, Joseph Blumenthal had two different versions of the lowercase 'r' cut and cast -- one narrower, the other wider. In a loose line, the wider 'r' might be used to reduce the word spacing and achieve nicer justification. (See page 115 of *American Proprietary Typefaces*, David Pankow, ed., APHA, 1998.)

-- Kent.

--

Kent Lew | Book Design & Typography
Washington, MA 01223-9796