David wrote:

>> If we take what the scribe put down (whatever his reason)
>> at face value, and expand it into "níamdu fír febaib" it
>> reads like a saying from "Bríathra Flainn Fhína maic Ossu":
>> "truth is more splendid than possessions/status".
>
> Nice idea, but I have three counter-arguments:

... all of which are valid.  But to be clear, I wasn't
suggesting that "níamdu fír febaib" is the original line,
only that a familiarity with gnomic formulas of the sort
found in BFF might have influenced a scribe to rewrite
("reunderstand") it into that form.  I think one way of
getting closer to the original is to plausibly account
for the divergences in the transmission of the text.

Dennis