Rob wrote:

> Conlaid and Conlait and Conliath and Conlaed are synonymous
> genitive spellings of what nominative?

Conláed is a nominative, I think.  As for the others, context
usually indicates whether a particular spelling of a proper
name is meant to be nominative or genitive.  These names are
not common enough for me, at any rate, to be sure by just
looking at them.

> Are these names synonymous with Conlai and Conlae which appear
> in the text to be genitive forms of Conla.  Are all of these
> names (including the four listed above) synonymous?

There is Connlae (also written Connla, Condla; maybe also Colla),
whose genitive is Connlai.  This should probably be kept separate
from the names Conláed, Conláech, and Conlaí, at least on the
theory that "conn" means "chief, leader" or "intelligence", while
"con" is commonly the combining form of "cú" .  I suspect, however,
there was some mixing and confusion as regards these names.

> Finally, I assume the name "Conlaib" means the "Conlae people"
> or something of that nature.

I'm not sure just what that would mean.  It's a dative plural, but
beyond that some context would help.

Wait, here we go.  I just searched CELT and found only one instance
of "conlaib" in the database, in the Rawlinson genealogies, so that
must be what you have in mind:

"Maidid for Ultu iar sin riasna Conlaib i tossuch indara laí..."

= Then the Conlas (= Collas, i.e. the "Three Collas") defeat the
Ulstermen at the start of the second day...

The idiom here is a common one, and interesting:

maidid (or brisid) ré X for Y = breaks before X on Y = X defeats Y

Dennis