Dia daoibh a chairde,

I've been hired as a faculty member (music division) of a summer theater
workshop in San Francisco. The workshop will run a month and will culminate
in three performances at the end.

This year's production is a musical play, based on the story "The Wooing of
Etain", which according to my sources is originally a 9th C. text ("Tochmarc
Éadaoin(e)"?). The scriptwriter and artistic director got the story from
Ella Young's "Celtic Wonder Tales". As you might imagine, the Irish in the
story is completing corrupted, for example "Tir-Na-Moe" and "Eochy". I've
been encouraged to put the right Irish on the names.

Here's what I have so far, and please correct and suggest as needed (I'm far
more familiar with modern Irish than Old Irish):

Tir-Na-Moe = Tír na mBeo
Bri Leith = Brí Léith
Bridgit = Bríd
Tuatha de Danaan = Tuatha Dé (Danaan)
Angus Og = Aonghus Óg
Midyir = Midhir (nó) Midir
Dagda = Daghdha (nó) Dagda
Ogma = Oghma
Fand = ?
Gobniu = Goibhniu
Nuada = Nuadhu
Mananuan = Manannán
Tir-Na-Nog = Tír na nÓg
Eochy Airem = Eochaidh Aireamh
Fuamach = Fuamnach
Etar = Étar (nó) Édar
Etain, Etain ni Etar = Éadaoin, Éadaoin Ní Étar

One other sticky point is the correct wording for "fairy", "fairies", and
"fairy mounds". According to Ó Dónaill, "sí" means "fairy mound" ("síthe"
being the plural), while "aos sí" means "fairy folk / fairies". Then there's
"sídh", which, I believe, is the older spelling of "fairy mound" -- with
"aos sídhe" being the older spelling of "fairy folk / fairies". Am I right
in assuming that "sí", or "sídhe", have been used for "fairies" as well as
"fairy mounds"? (Certainly, Yeats did this with his poem "The Hosting of the
Sidhe".) What's the best way to approach this, from the viewpoint of the
story in question, and for the sake of accuracy?

Go raibh míle maith agaibh,

Deborah

Distant Oaks
Celtic & Early Music