>Dennis asked:
>
>> I take "oc freiscsin cíangothae" to mean "waiting for telephone
>> calls". Naturally, there is no confirmation of this to be had in
>> DIL!  Does anyone else agree with this?
>
>You are certainly correct. "Cíanguth" is a literal translation of Greek
>tele-phone "far-voice". Accidentally a nice piece of
>evidence that Old Irish filids, i.e. the learned class responsible for
>composing sagas in the Old Irish language, were not
>only bilingual in Irish and Latin, but now and then can also have a fair
>amount of knowledge of Greek.
>
>David

I find this very confusing. What is the 'evidence', David, to which you
refer? If any word exists only in the piece Dennis posted (anonymous
contemp. satire), then I feel it would be safer to label your msgs in such
a way as to separate them from genuine OI text, to save students time &
avoid irritating scholars.
mg

--
Marion Gunn <[log in to unmask]>