> Aside from the possible etymology of Medbh's name, what evidence is
there to
> connect her figure with mead?

"The name originally meant 'one who intoxicates' .... there is little
doubt but that Meadhbh of Tara and Meadhbh of Cruachain were one and the
same personage" (Ó hÓgáin, Myth, Legend and Romance, 1991, "Meadhbh".

And there is Maeve of Connacht's voracious sexual appetite presumably
found intoxicating by men: "Maeve had three in an hour, they say"
(Yeats, The Death of Cuchulain); "the lady Maeve was of Greater Report
then the rest because of her great boldness, Buty, and stout manlyness
in Giving of battles, insatiable Lust" (Annals of Clonmacnoise).

> And what makes her a "local aspect of the Mother Goddess"?

Medb Leth-derg "would not permit any king in Temair (Tara) without his
having herself as wife" (Eugene O'Curry, MS Mat., p. 480), among other
attributes that show her to be a sovereignty/mother/earth goddess, for
example her voice (from the earth) through the Lia Fáil approving the
rightful king as her (the land's)consort, spreading her legs -- the
standing stones Bloc and Bluigne -- as the king drove his chariot
between them, the sile-na-gig on Bluigne, Rath Maeve 2 miles south of
Tara.

> Did Mr. Warner offer any evidence for this notion of a "god line"
being
> other than his own speculation?

Nothing as solid as a god-faxed map. He mentioned some references to
archetypal charioteers driving cross-country in a straight line -- which
if you're familiar with Irish roads you know is physically impossible --
but I don't remember specific references.

Richard Marsh