Apologies to the list--I realize I got my ordination grades mixed up.
*Deacons* (Old Irish dechon) (not presbyters) were originally instituted as
assistants to the apostles/preachers, to function as managers of mundane
concerns, while *presbyters* were a sort of elder within the larger group of
leaders, a category/office possibly inherited/adapted from earlier Judaic
models. (Of course, the term presbyter took on a different connotation in
the Reformation, which is partly why I get them confused.)

But my question remains: what meaning did cruimther have in Old Irish to
distinguish it from sacart?

Francine Nicholson