Following from the email from Conor Kretsch, the issue of sustainability
seems to be firmly divided in Ireland (and most likely in the rest of the
EU also) into at least two opinions.

On the one hand, environmental and social organisations seem to me to hold
the view that in order to sustain our environment for our own society and
for generations to come, we need to make dramatic changes to our collective
lifestyle, to our culture of excessive consumerism.

On the other hand, what I have seen of government policy at local and
national level indicates to me that the political powers in Ireland hold
the view that in order to sustain the present level of resource consumption
and economic growth, we need to make sure that environmental and social
pressures are carefully managed to satisfy public and legislative demand
without compromising the economic needs of the present.

As environmental scientists, we are faced not with a purely
physical/natural environment in which changes can be made to encourage a
favourable outcome, but also with a political/financial environment in
which the status quo is valued highly by those whose interests it serves,
by whom change is resisted forcefully. Do we have a role to play as
mediators between these two poles of opinion? More specifically, in
investigating the numerous existing solutions to excessive consumerism and
resource consumption and bringing them to the political and public forum in
a language acceptable to the public mind? In other words, how can we
engender the idea of genuine long-term sustainability in the public and
political mind through the medium of environmental science?

Sincerely,

Feidhlim Harty

Féidhlim Harty Wetland Systems,
Gaggin, Bandon, Co. Cork, Ireland.
ph/fax.: 023-52983 email: [log in to unmask]

FH Wetland Systems - Designing and Planting
Constructed Wetlands for Wastewater Treatment.

See our other Environmental Consultancy Services at:
www.ballymaloe.com/fhwetlands

This email discussion list, called Environet, is managed by the Environmental Sciences Association of Ireland.
For more details on ESAI see the web site www.esaiweb.org.
All emails on the list are archived at http://listserv.heanet.ie/esai.html.

You can subscribe to Environet by sending an email to [log in to unmask]
containing the message SUBSCRIBE ESAI <first name> <surname> in the text (and no other informaiton).
You can remove yourself from Environet by sending the command SIGNOFF ESAI to [log in to unmask]