Hi Doug,

Doug Weller schrieb:

> First, a grip, I'm afraid. You've put in some private email of mine to
> this public post to the list.

Well, sorry but no. I answered to an email that came in via the list.

As I wrote late on Thursday, I've changed the list settings to have
ordinary replies to go to the list, so it is no longer necessary to
reply to all to have posts go back to the list. The backdraw to this is
that a simple reply is no longer a private mail, but goes out to the
public. If you want to send a private reply, you now have to delete the
Celtic-L adress and type the adress you want the reply to go to into the
"to" field.

Thus, I did not put in a private email of yours into my public post to
the list, but wrote a public reply to a public email.

> I'd argue that British archaeology recognises considerable cultural
> differences in the area between Southeast England and Ireland and
> Scotland.

Well, in some discussions, even more areas have been claimed to be
considerably different, but in fact, the exact number of "different"
areas doesn't really matter. In the end, we still have to explain why
those different areas appear to be so similar in most aspects but
material culture.

> I'd also point out that Simon James is but the most well
> known commentator on this issue, which is basically a refutation of
> earlier mass invasion hypotheses (although James has some facinating
> things to say on the creation of ethnic identities).

Well, I'd recommend Sian Jones "The Archaeology of Ethnicity" on the
matter of the creation of ethnic identities, from which James actually
has a lot of his ideas.

BTW, this is another point: The ancient Celts definitly were not _one_
ethnic group, but definitly many differing ethnic groups. But this
doesn't need to be argued at all, as one only needs to read the
historical sources on the "ancient Celts", where this is as plainly
evident as it can be.

> Hill (of Hill and Cumberpatch) and Collis are others whose work is
> relevant.

Well, I had some clashes with John Collis on this already several years
ago, when he was visiting professor in Vienna. Little has changed since,
in his opinion and in my reaction to it, as far as I can say. In fact,
from the continental perspective, this whole discussion is nonsense. The
central argument of the Celtosceptics, that what we call "the Celts" did
never exist as "one ethnic group", is known to be a fact for at least
two millenia. And that this is irrelevant for modern Celticity, is as
much a given as it is that it is irrelevant for the modern English
wether Angles and Saxons originally were two separate ethnic groups or
not.

All the best,

RAY
Mag.phil. Raimund KARL <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Universität Wien, Institut für Alte Geschichte
A-1010 Wien, Dr. Karl Lueger Ring 1
Privat: A-1120 Wien, Hasenhutgasse 7-11/9/4
Tel/AB/Fax: (+43 1) 8103629 oder mobil: (+43 676) 3048830

     Besuchen Sie die Homepage der Studienrichtung Keltologie unter
       Visit the Celtic Studies at Vienna University homepage at
            <http://www.univie.ac.at/keltologie/index.html>