Hi All,

Just a small note on the Galatian thread (about which I know very
little, I hasten to addd):
St. Jerome seems to have written on the Celts in Galatia in the fourth
century AD.  I'm assuming this is in his book on Places (Liber Locorum)
but my source only mentions that he mentions the Celts in 'his works'
(it's not a great source, really).  Apparently, Jerome says that a
Celtic dialect was still being spoken there in his time.
If this is true, it means that:
A - The Galatian Celts had survived as a recogniseable group in Galatia
since the 3rd century BC and had maintainmed their language until at
least the fourth century AD.
B - Jerome (or someone) must have had some way of recognising what a
Celtic dialect sounded like.  This strikes me as quite amazing.  Could a
non-linguist today identify Breton with Scots Gaelic?  I wonder how
Jerome knew this piece of information.  Perhaps someone with a copy of
Jerome's works can clue us in on what he actually says.

Incidentally, the presence of Galatian Celts in Turkey was still being
noted on maps of Asia made in the twelfth and thirteenth centuries,
based on Jerome's attestation.  The so-called 'Jerome Map' (British
Library additional 10049 f. 64) shows them on the southern shore of the
Black Sea, squeezed up between Phrygia and Nicomedia - but the scale and
general layout of the map are very strange, as is common with medieval
maps.   See P. D. A Harvey, Medieval Maps (British Library 1991) p. 72.

Cheers,

Stephen McKenzie, Adelaide.