As a former officer and Secretary of the Clan MacFarlane Society
(USA), having hosted clan  hospitality tents at Highland festivals
and as a frequent visitor to Irish and Scottish festivals, I have
witnessed militarist/rightist efforts.
        There seems to be knee-jerk actions to grab on to some of
the worst fighting times between the Scottish clans, several
hundred years ago, and promote a comic book image of Scottish
clan warriors for political reasons.
        There have also been several attempts to take-over some
clan societies to use them as propaganda bases for rightist
/militant causes.
        However, especially as the growth of festivals is explosive,
reaching 10 to 20,000 visitors in many festivals, this is a minor
problem.

        In no way has this been involved with Celtic aspects, to
my knowledge.
        As McFarland/MacFarlane is both Irish and Scottish, I
received invitations and communications from most all festivals
(including Welsh).
        In fact, until recently, there has seemed to be an anti
-Celtic wave, apparently tied to the association of Celts with
Paganism, Pagan gods, Pagan sites, Pagan symbols, etc., at all
festivals, both Scottish and Irish.
        Even festivals that occurred on May 1st, or November 1st
(because of the different temperatures over America, festivals
now take place year around), reacted in horror when told that
these are traditional Celtic holidays.
        Something about "Devil worship..."
        Previously, Irish festivals easily admitted their Christian
(post St Patrick) basis and Scottish festivals were apparently
post King Ceann Mor/Malcolm Canmore/Malcolm III or Robert de Brus,
William Wallace, etc., but certainly not Celtic.
        Celtic elements seem to be rapidly increasing at all
festivals, while militarist/rightist efforts seem to be minimalized,
in my opinion.

Lowell McFarland <[log in to unmask]>