Hi Carrie,

I get the impression that this is a rather emerging trend, but sadly, not
too suprising.  Celtic festivals, whether in the U.S. or elsewhere have
always been 'political', some more overtly than others. A few researchers
have noted in particular that Scottish American festivals (Highland Games)
draw this sort of crowd.  It may be related to the militarism which
sometimes accompanies these festivals.  An anthropologist I know (also an
Amy but last name suddenly escaping me) has looked at how Highland Games
have been linked to expressions of U.S. Southern identity, and have as a
result been attracting a rather unsavory element. She has written a book
about it, I'll try to get more details.

The BNP also uses Celtic motifs in constructing an idea of a 'racially pure
Celtic Britain'.

What interests me about all this is that 'Celtic' has been so equated with
'left-wing', alternative, peaceful etc., certainly since the 20th c. This is
so ingrained that some Celtic nationalists with whom I have worked cannot
even comprehend that there might be right wing overtones to their beliefs.
Of course, I want to make a distinction between this and assertions of
identity, language and minority rights, which I think are crucial for Celtic
peoples. I'm sure you all know the distinction I mean.

Thanks all for letting me go on.  I need a bit of Celtic communication
desperately at the moment.
Amy