Dear Michael

I was always under the assumption that copious abbreviation of Lation words
(by the medieval copyist/scribe) was common for line justification purposes—
to ensure that words were evenly spaced (similarly used in early incunabular
before the development of variable mechanical spacing)—and not necessarily
for increased speed in writing.

???

But, yes, this "macron" form that would be an interesting typographic
adaptation in a digital font, though probably disasterous in common
application.

Gerald

...I cribbed it from the medieval manuscript scribes, who would