Saturday, the San Francisco Public Library kicked off "Zapfest:
Calligraphic Type Design in the Digital Age: An Exhibition in Honor of the
Contributions of Hermann and Gudrun Zapf".  There was a reception Saturday,
at which I met Delve in person (again, apparently - I guess we ran into
each other briefly at TypeCon '98), and at which I just missed out on a
Zapfsig on the exhibit poster.

The exhibit is beautiful, and features works not only by the Zapfs but also
by a number of other calligraphic type designers, and I can't remember all
the names so I won't try to list them.  A hard-bound catalog will be
published later this year.

Sunday, Gudrun and Hermann both gave talks.  Gudrun ran through a slide
show of her work, in bookbinding, type design, and calligraphy, with some
comments (her English isn't as good as Hermann's).  Hermann was introduced
by Sumner Stone.  He said a few words, then presented a preview of a CD-ROM
of his life and work, _The World of Alphabets by Hermann Zapf: A
Kaleidoscope of Drawings and Letterforms_.  The CD only crashed once during
the preview. (-:  It will be available later this year, from different
publishers in Europe, America, and Asia; I can't find much more information
right now, but the contact e-mail address on the pamphlet is
[log in to unmask]  Attendees at the talk were privileged to receive a
lithograph of an alphabet with some typographic quotes, hand-signed by Hermann.

This was the first in a series of talks in conjunction with the exhibit;
the others are Jack Stauffacher, 8 September; Larry Brady, 15 September;
Susan Skarsgard, 29 September; Sumner Stone, 6 October; Cynthia
Hollandsworth, 13 October; and Robert Bringhurst, 27 October.  See <URL:
http://www.sfpl.org/ > for more info.

-crism
--
Christopher R. Maden, Principal Consultant, HMM Consulting Int'l, Inc.