Hrant,

>And I've realized over time that
>there are two forms of reading. There's letter-wise reading, and
>there's bouma reading (word, or actually word-segment), and they
>combine to varying degrees in any given reading "event".

And within your two forms of reading there are different conditions
that affect what is legible/readable/useful as well as what is
effective. (I suspect that reading could be reasonably divided into
more than two modes.) It's fairly complex and many "experts" offered
simple advice like "x typeface is legible," etc. No wonder some
people chose to say "These guys are just aesthetic fascists
pretending to care about function. I'm going to do what I want."

Gunnar
--
Gunnar Swanson Design Office
536 South Catalina Street