> From: Jill Bell <[log in to unmask]>
>
> I too, would like to see the "lettering manual by Helm Wotzkow"
> ...may be the answer as to why there is only one weight.  Sorry to be
> such a cynic (especially with your tabla rasa theory) but considering
> the source.

I've got a copy of that book (The Art of Hand Lettering by Helm Wotzkow,
Dover 0-486-21797-3, 1967 reprint of the 1952 edition, still in print and
not hard to find) and I can kind of see a similarity to the model characters
used throughout the book to show basic roman proportions and so on. Chank's
caps are much closer to Wotzkow's than the lowercase. Perhaps the peculiar y
and so on came about because Chank was mesmerized by the phrase used
repeatedly throughout the book in the lettering samples "Always endeavor to
find some interesting variation." As far as there being no italic, there are
models in the book, but maybe he hasn't read that far.

Mark Simonson

http://www.ms-studio.com