From: Rodger Whitlock
> I read somewhere that when the value of the Italian lira dropped
> below a certain point, all the small change was swept up ....

In Lebanon in the late 80s (I think it was), when the value of the
currency dropped below a certain point, the 1/5-Lebanese-pound coin
became worth more melted down than whole. The extra twist was that
this prompted a pyramid pricing craze exactly like the famous tulip
one in the Netherlands. Some people became millionaires, others lost
their life savings. (Kinda like the dot-cot/dot-bomb thing here...)

hhp