Hrant Papazian (on 3 August 2001)

>From: Gunnar Swanson
>> The coins are strange. What's up with the national variants?
>
>Maybe it was to appease nationalist feelings. I think it's
>a great idea (the things have *two* sides, after all), and
>maybe they didn't do it to the paper money because of:
>1. Cost.
>2. Too much divergence, which is much more of a pitfall
>   than in coins (with the colors, patterns, etc).
>Anything else?

I don't think anyone responded to this, so... Taking advantage of the
two-sidedness of the form, the euro coins *will* have national variants.
One side is common to all countries, the other side is determined by the
issuing country. In the case of the Netherlands, a competition to choose
the designer of the local variants was held, and won by Jaap Drupsteen.

RK